Why are Manhole Covers round? There are several answers to this age old question.
- A round manhole cover cannot fall through its opening.
- Round tubes are stronger so the cover of a round tube is a circular shape.
- A round manhole cover has a smaller surface than a square one and requires less material to make one.
- When replacing the cover over the open hole, a round cover does not need to be rotated to align and fit.
- A round manhole cover is easier to move by being rolled.
Whatever the reason, while walking around Copenhagen, take a moment to look down under your feet. There is some pretty cool art to be discovered.
Seen in Helsingor, home of Hamlet’s Kronborg Castle
This one tells the story of the Steadfast Tin Soldier. The empty spot had a depiction of the one legged soldier. In the story he is about to be eaten by a fish after falling off of his shelf. Hans Christian Andersen
Inside Tivoli Gardens, the manhole covers show the entry gates and the popular balloon ride.